Tuesday 30 August 2016

Hand picked wild blueberry pie off: my lemon & maple syrup sweetened addition to the table

http://ift.tt/2bQdaNC

Renée S. Suen has added a photo to the pool:

Hand picked wild blueberry pie off: my lemon & maple syrup sweetened addition to the table

The complete package.

After hand picking the wild blueberries from a field in New Brunswick (near Sackville), it was time to make a blueberry pie (under the hot sun still in the middle of the field). I don't advise the latter, kids. Soft dough isn't the best to work with.

My crack at (artisan) making a wild blueberry pie. Used lemon zest, maple syrup, a touch ginger and all spice. No water or egg wash so I squeezed some lemon juice on its top then dusted the surface with sugar.

I went simple with the flavours, lessening the sugar to allow the berries' inherent sweetness come through, but sadly didn't account for the increased water content of the maple syrup, resulting in a more runny filling than thick jammy (I didn't increase the amount of flour to compensate), the crust and bright lemon flavour from the zest saved my contest entrant and it came in second.



via Dessert Pool http://ift.tt/2c9noH0

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...